Come play with us
Berkeley High School currently has five jazz bands, plus numerous small combos. We play concerts both at BHS and in the community -- even in Cuba! We welcome dedicated students of all ages to audition for our bands.
2023-24 band auditions
Audition dates for 2023-2024 BHS Jazz Bands are:
April 13: Woodwinds, Strings, Brass
April 20: Rhythm (drums, percussion, piano, bass, guitar)
Auditions will be held ONLY for:
- Current BHS Jazz students trying out for Ensemble (including current Ensemble members), AND
- Incoming students playing rhythm instruments
Thank you for your interest in joining BHS Jazz! Auditions (in-person) are only required for musicians who are interested in joining Ensemble, or those who play rhythm instruments AND are new to BHS Jazz. However, EVERYONE who would like to play in BHS Jazz in the fall MUST complete the 2023-2024 BHS Jazz Interest Form by March 27, 2023.
Here are the steps:
1. ALL MUSICIANS: Read the "BHS JAZZ AUDITIONS -- REQUIRED READING"
2. ALL MUSICIANS: Complete the 2023-2024 BHS Jazz Interest Form by March 27, 2023. To complete the form you will need your own and your parent(s) and/or guardian(s) contact information (name, email address, phone number, and street address). If applicable, please provide contact information for a second parent/guardian as well. It is very important that at least one parent/guardian phone number and email address is provided.
In addition, we have some optional questions seeking demographic information (for example, race, income, etc.) that is often requested by organizations that currently, or may in the future, fund our program. This information will be kept confidential and providing it is optional.
3. ALL MUSICIANS: No matter what jazz class you selected when you registered in February, you'll be placed in the correct jazz class by Ms. Cline after auditions are over.
4. ASPIRING ENSEMBLE PLAYERS and NEW RHYTHM PLAYERS ONLY: Auditions are required due to high demand for these positions. Once you are finished with the Interest Form, you will land on a page where you can reserve an audition slot (and access the audition music). You will also receive this information by email. Please make sure you click the link for the registration form for the instrument on which you want to audition. The audition days are April 13 and 20. Be sure to read this document before you come: BHS Jazz Auditions: What to Expect.
The audition process is organized by volunteer parents. Please do NOT contact the director, Sarah Cline, with questions or special requests. If you have questions, please consult our "BHS JAZZ AUDITIONS -- REQUIRED READING" first. If your question is not answered there, please email email@example.com. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Since we are a parent volunteer organization, please allow us 24 hours to respond.